Housing Application Information
How to Apply for Membership
To live in a co-op, you must first become a member. A person interested in applying for membership submits a completed application form. Applications are usually given out only at orientation sessions. Unfortunately, as we have received an overwhelming number of applications for membership, no orientation sessions have been planned for the foreseeable future. When orientations resume it will be noted here.
Keeping Your Application Active
If the co-op already has your application on file, you must write to the co-op every 6 months confirming that you wish to remain on our waiting list, otherwise we will assume that you’ve withdrawn your application. You may also use this opportunity to update your application information.
Eligibility Based on Income
To be eligible to live at our co-op, your gross monthly income must not exceed 5 times the amount of the market housing charge for the unit size. There are other income requirements as well. Please see the table below for details.
|Housing Charges and Income|
|Housing charge||Min monthly
|1 BR, small *||8||601-715||1-2 persons (seniors only)||$1,177||$3,600||$43,200||$5,400||$64,800||$1500|
|1 BR, large *||2||830||1-2 persons (seniors only)||$1,177||$3,600||$43,000||$5,400||$64,800||$1500|
|2 BR||47||822-868||2-4 persons||$1,525||$4,665||$56,000||$7,000||$84,000||$1500|
|2 BR||6||921-954||2-4 persons||$1,525||$4,665||$56,000||$7,000||$84,000||$1500|
|3 BR||25||1077-1225||3-6 persons||$1,655||$5,065||$60,800||$7,600||$91,200||$1500|
|4 BR||10||1207-1457||4-8 persons||$1,786||$5,465||$65,600||$8,200||$98,400||$1500|
|5 BR||4||1617||5-10 persons||$2,021||$6,188||$74,250||$9,280||$111,360||$1500|
|total suites:||102||rates as of 01-Jan-2020|
* Please note that one-bedroom units are seldom available.
Eligibility (based on the Homes BC mandate):
- 1 BR units are for seniors only
- You must be a family to qualify for 2 BR + (roommates and friends don’t qualify)
- Couples are required to share a bedroom. (Therefore, a couple and 1 child DO NOT qualify for a 3 BR unit)
- Children of same gender can share a bedroom up to 18 years of age (but we try to move families up to larger unit if available)
- Children of opposite gender can share a bedroom up to 5 years of age
- Members MUST move to an appropriately sized unit if family size changes
- Willingness to commit to community living and volunteer at least four hours per month to the running and upkeep of the co-op building, grounds, and community.
- Able to pay a refundable $1500 share purchase (in lieu of damage deposit)
Would I Make a Good Co-op Member?
Co-op housing isn’t for everyone. The success of a co-op is dependent on its members actively participating in the day to day running of the co-op—participation is required of all members. Chances are, if you’ve volunteered before and enjoyed it, and think living in a co-operative environment sounds good, you’d like living in co-operative housing. However, if you’re not looking for a home with a sense of community, if you are not interested in participating to help make the co-op a success—if you’re just looking for a place to live, then co-operative housing is not for you. Housing co-ops aren’t for everyone, but for many, they’re the only way to live.